Sunday, November 30, 2014

Zone Conference & Beyond


This week I had a Zone Conference, and it was amazing! We talked a lot about listening to our investigators. In reality, this is one of the hallmarks of good missionary work. We also talked a lot about being bold and identifying ourselves as representatives of Jesus Christ.

I read in John 9 this week and it talked about a blind man who was healed by the savior. He didn't see who healed him, but he knew to some extent it was the savior. The Pharisees  subjected this man to a harsh round of interrogation, but the man never denied the work that had been done. He is banned from the synagogue, but as he is leaving, he meets the savior and discovers for a certainty that He was the man who healed him. It´s much like our lives in which we must be bold and have faith before we know anything for certain.

We also did more exchanges this week. Nothing terribly eventful. Most people waved us off. One even yelled off in the distance "CULT!"   I wanted to give her a piece of my mind, but I realized that I needed to follow the example of the Savior. Specifically, my works here are good enough. I don´t need to prove anything. I´m here to teach those who will listen.

We had an amazing investigator this week. A few weeks ago, we stopped Rs because Hermana Sanchez felt a strong prompting to talk to her. When we met with her, we could tell there was some sort of light within her. When we started the lesson we asked if we could sing a hymn, and Hermana Sanchez asked me to pick. For some reason, out of the 209 songs in the Spanish Hymn Book, I could only think of Christmas songs. So we sang O Come All Ye Faithful.

My companion and I were a little worried that this was going to be weird for her. I was certain she was going to tell her friends later something to the effect of "These weird girls asked me to come learn more about their religion and they told me some stuff about golden plates and angels, and then we sang Christmas songs..." Nonetheless, as we started singing, we saw her face light up.
I could feel the spirit strongest when we read James 1: 5 to her (If any man lack wisdom, let him ask of God who giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him). I know we can talk to God and he will answer our prayers.

At the end of the lesson, even before we had time to say anything, she asked "What do I need to do to be baptized in your church?" We were both speechless. We´re meeting with her sometime this week.

We´re plodding along on R´s baptism. We had to push it forward a week because there was no way we were going to teach everything to her in time for last Saturday. It´s best to go a little too slow than to go too fast. We wanted to make sure she understood everything and felt comfortable. But we do have her baptism set in stone for this Saturday. :) She´s excited.

I´m singing with the Elders in the program, so I´ll be sure to send a video (which is apparently not against my mission rules!) and some photos of R, Hna. Sanchez and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment